What is SMatCH?
Princeton has an amazing community of researchers whose work deals with soft materials: liquids, polymers, foams, gels, colloids, granular materials, as well as most soft biological materials. This is an opportunity for us all to come together!
Nothing formal: simply a venue to meet other people with mutual interests over cookies-free thanks to support by PRISM, coffee (free!), and talk about research or anything else. We usually have two or three mini-talks each less than 10 min long followed by general mingling and discussion.
Upcoming SMatCH meetings:
November 15 at 3pm - Special longer seminar:
- Prabhu Nott, Professor of Chemical Engineering at the Indian Institute of Science,
on "Coherent force transmission in disordered particle media, and its relation to macroscopic mechanics"
November 22, 2019 at 3pm:
- Joanna Schneider, PhD student in CBE,
on "Using colloidal deposition for mobilization of fluids in porous media"
- Siddhartha Sarkar, PhD student in MAE,
on "Mechanical properties of thermalized cylindrical shells"
December 6, 2019 at 3pm:
- Jenna Ott, PhD student in CBE,
on "Soft matter physics in the lungs"
- Thomas E. Gartner III, Postdoc in Chemistry,
on "Coarse-grained modeling of polymer and colloidal self-assembly"
February 7, 2020 at 3pm:
- Bernardo de Gouveia, PhD student in CBE, on
"The fiber coating problem in molecular biology:
condensed protein films on microtubules are Rayleigh-Plateau unstable"
- Philippe Bourrianne, Postdoc in MAE,
on "Levitation of fizzy droplets"
February 14, 2020 at 3pm - Special longer seminar:
- Sam Dillavou, PhD student in Physics at Harvard,
on "The Hidden Dynamics of Static Friction"
February 21, 2020 at 3pm - Special longer seminar:
- Jim Gilchrist, Professor of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering at Lehigh University,
February 28, 2020 at 3pm:
- Xiaohui Xu, Postdoc in CBE,
on "A porous medium composed of photo- and temperature-responsive microgels"
- Christopher Ushay, PhD student in CBE,
on "Multiphase Flow Through Hairy Channels"
March 20, 2020 at 3pm:
- Sehmus Ozden, Postdoc in CBE,
on "Ultra-Lightweight Porous Aerogels for High Temperature Applications"
- Francisco Cruz Mazo, Postdoc in MAE,
on "Micro/nano liquid jets, drops, and mixing:
physics and application in bio-sample delivery for XFEL experiments"
March 27, 2020 at 3pm - Special longer seminar:
- William Jacobs, Assistant Professor in Chemistry,
March 31, 2020 at 3pm - Special longer seminar:
- Franck Vernerey, Professor of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Colorado, Boulder
April 10, 2020 at 3pm:
- Sheng Mao, Postdoc in MAE,
on "Size selection of phase-separated liquid droplets in strain-stiffening elastic networks"
- Second speaker TBA
April 23, 2020 at 3pm - Special longer seminar:
- Satish Kumar, Distinguished McKnight University Professor
of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science at the University of Minnesota,
April 28, 2020 at 3pm - Special longer seminar:
- Vernita Gordon, Associate Professor of Physics at UT Austin,
May 1, 2020 at 3pm:
- Ricard Alert Zenon, Postdoc in PCTS,
on "Topological defects induce layer formation in bacterial colonies"
- Second speaker TBA
Where is SMatCH?
Talks are in E-Quad A224; coffee is available in the Lapidus Lounge (A214).
When is SMatCH?
This semester, it is every other Friday from 3-4 pm. The detailed schedule is at the top of this page.
Who can attend SMatCH?
Anyone interested in soft materials! Undergraduates, graduate students, postdocs and researchers, faculty--anyone.
How can I find out about future SMatCH meetings?
Email Sujit Datta to be added to the list serv.
Past SMatCH meetings
November 8, 2019 at 3pm:
- Jaeuk Kim, PhD student in Physics,
on "Multifunctional Composites for Elastic and Electromagnetic Wave Propagation"
- Lingzhi Cai, PhD student in CBE,
on "Harnessing interfacial instabilities in polymer melts"
October 18, 2019 at 3pm:
- Sravya Jangareddy, PhD student in CBE,
on "Miscibility enhancement in block copolymers containing polyisoprene"
- Christina Kurzthaler, Postdoc in MAE,
on "Particle motion nearby rough surfaces"
October 4, 2019 at 3pm:
- Guang Chen, Postdoc in MAE,
on "Electrostatics in nano-confined colloidal dispersions and polyelectrolyte solutions"
- Michael Palmer, PhD student in CBE,
on "Mechanical wrapping by smooth muscle directs epithelial morphogenesis in the lungs"
- Etienne Jambon-Puillet, Postdoc in CBE,
on "Deformation and bursting of elastic capsules impacting solid walls"
September 20, 2019 at 3pm:
- Lailai Zhu, Postdoc in MAE,
on "Propulsion driven by self-oscillation via an electrohydrodynamic instability"
- Phil von Tiedemann, Visiting PhD student from U. Mainz,
on "Starblock copolymers"
August 20, 2019 at 3pm:
- Navid Bizmark, Postdoc in PRISM, on "Multiscale dynamics of colloidal particle transport in porous media"
- Baptiste Neel, Postdoc in MAE, on "Cylinder collision and fragmentation"
- Matthew Heinrich, PhD student in MAE,
on "Cell Cycle and Growth Dynamics of Large, Unconstrained Tissues"
August 8, 2019 at 1pm - Special longer seminar - please note, this seminar will be in Andlinger 103:
Sophie Roman, Associate Professor at the University of Orleans, France,
on "Multiphase Flow and Reactive Transport in Porous Media: an experimental microfluidic approach"
July 30, 2019 at 3pm:
Ben Weiner, PhD student in Physics, on "Motif Sequences and Intracellular Phase Separation"
Alireza Hooshanginejad, PhD student in MAE at the University of Minnesota,
on "Breakup of a droplet under a stagnation-point flow"
Tapomoy Bhattacharjee, Postdoc in ACEE, on "Bacteria in 3D porous media"
July 23, 2019 at 3pm - Special longer seminar - please note, this seminar will be in Andlinger 103:
Jae Woo Chung, Associate Professor of Organic Materials and Fiber Engineering at Soongsil University,
on "Self-Healable Supramolecular Network Using Dynamic Bond: Fundamental, Design, and Application"
July 16, 2019 at 3pm:
Katelyn Randazzo, PhD student in CBE,
on "Growth of Irreversibly Adsorbed Layers and Resulting Local Tg Perturbances in Polymer Nanocomposites"
Alisya Anlas, PhD student in CBE,
on "Tissue mechanics dictates survival strategies in breast cancer cells"
July 9, 2019 at 3pm - Special longer seminar:
R. Konane Bay, PhD student in Polymer Science and Engineering at the University of Massachusetts Amherst,
on "Deformation and Failure Mechanisms of Ultra-Thin Polymer Films"
July 2, 2019 at 3pm:
Anna Frishman, Postdoctoral Fellow at PCTS,
on "Weber number dependence in the breakup of a soap film bridge"
Jean-François Louf, Postdoc in CBE,
on "Fluid-structure interactions enable mechanosensitive intercellular transport"
Brian Chang, Postdoc in Biology at Temple University,
on "Legged Locomotion on Sand Dunes and Sandy Footprints"
June 27, 2019 at 3pm - Special longer seminar:
T. S. Ramakrishnan, Scientific Advisor at Schlumberger-Doll Research,
on "Fluid dynamics of capillary rise"
June 25, 2019 at 3pm - Special longer seminar:
Roman Voronov, Assistant Professor of Chemical and Materials Engineering at NJIT,
on "Directed fibroblast migration in tissue pore-sized confines of microfluidic pores"
June 21, 2019 at 3pm - Special longer seminar:
Anand Oza, Assistant Professor of Mathematical Sciences at NJIT,
on "Coarse-grained models for interacting flapping swimmers"
June 18, 2019 at 3pm:
- Min Pack, Postdoc in MAE, on "The role of extensional rheology on droplets bouncing on air"
- Jakub Pekalski, Postdoc in CBE, on "Anisotropic patterns formed by isotropic particles"
- Amir Pahlavan, Postdoc in MAE, on "Phase change in multicomponent droplets"
June 11, 2019 at 3pm - Special longer seminar:
Jaume Casademunt, Professor of Physics at the University of Barcelona,
on "Universal scaling of active nematic turbulence"
June 4, 2019 at 1pm - Special longer seminar, please note different time:
Enkeleida Lushi, Assistant Professor of Mathematics at NJIT,
on "Micro-swimmers in complex confinement"
April 30, 2019 at 3pm:
- Bryan Nerger, PhD student in CBE, on "Self-assembly of collagen fibers in evaporating droplets"
- Jeremy Cho, Postdoc in CBE, on "Universal scaling of desiccation crack patterns in shrinkable, granular packings"
April 16, 2019 at 3pm:
- Qingjun (Judy) Yang, Postdoc in MAE, on "How does organic matter stay in soils for thousands of years?"
- Ya Gai, Postdoc in MAE, on "Engineering spindle assembly in cell-sized droplets"
April 2, 2019 at 3pm:
- Endao Han, Postdoc in Biophysics, on "Dynamics of dense particulate suspensions"
- Chet Markwalter, PhD student in CBE, on
"Formulating peptide and protein therapeutics for nanoparticle drug delivery"
March 12, 2019 at 3pm:
- Bernardo de Gouveia, PhD student in CBE, on
"Driving forces for microtubule transport in the mitotic spindle"
- Rocky Diegmiller, PhD student in CBE, on "Symmetry breaking in the Drosophila germline cyst"
February 26, 2019 at 3pm:
- Sijie Tong, PhD student in MAE, on "Mechanical response of wrinkled structures"
- Sayantan Dutta, PhD student in CBE, on
"Two dimensional reaction-diffusion framework in Drosophila embryo"
February 12, 2019 at 3pm:
- Philip Hochendoner, Postdoc at PRISM, on "Microfluidics for diagnostic cancer exosome Isolation"
- Zheng Ma, PhD student in Physics, on "Self-organized hyperuniform systems"
- Pierre Ronceray, Postdoc at PCTS, on "Learning forces from Brownian trajectories"
December 4, 2018 at 2pm:
- Behrooz Ferdowsi, Postdoc in Geosciences,
on "Granular physics of earthquake fault friction and nucleation processes"
- Daniel Amchin, PhD student in CBE,
on "Dynamic phase behavior of motile bacteria in complex environments"
November 20, 2018 at 2pm:
- Wes Reinhart, PhD student in CBE,
on "Engineering the assembly of colloidal crystals for photonics applications"
- Mohamed El Hedi Bahri, PhD student in MAE,
on "Influence of Thermal Fluctuations on the Elastic Moduli of a 2-D Anisotropic Crystal"
November 9, 2018 at 3pm - Special longer seminar:
George Fytas, Professor of Physical Chemistry at the University of Crete
and External Member of the Max Planck Society,
on "Harnessing hypersound phonons in nanostructured soft matter"
November 6, 2018 at 2pm:
- Emre Turkoz, PhD student in MAE,
on "Simulation of Viscoelastic Filament Thinning with the Oldroyd-B Model"
- Nancy Lu, PhD student in CBE,
on "Controlling flow pathways by reshaping porous media"
October 16, 2018 at 2pm:
- Jing Yan, Postdoc in MAE/MOL,
on "Building a home the V. cholerae way: Mechanomorphogenesis of biofilms"
- KC Lin, PhD student in EE, on
"The evolution accelerator drives PC3-Epi prostate cancer cells to become
polyploid, resistant and mesenchymal on a docetaxel gradient"
- David Barth, Research Specialist in the PRISM Cleanroom,
on "Soft materials processing in the PRISM Cleanroom"
October 4, 2018 at 2:30pm in A214 (Lapidus Lounge)
Special longer seminar: Francois Ganachaud, Directeur de Recherche CNRS, INSA-Lyon,
on "The Ouzo effect: Some unknown about the physical chemistry behind the process"
October 2, 2018 at 2pm:
- Boyang Qin, Postdoc in MAE/MOL,
on "Flow Resistance and Structures in Viscoelastic Channel Flows at Low Re"
- Chris Browne, PhD student in CBE,
on "Spatial Structure of Elastic Turbulence in Porous Media"
- Ricard Alert Zenon, Postdoc in Physics,
on "Turbulence in Active Liquid Crystals"
September 18, 2018 at 2pm:
- Sayantan Dutta, PhD student in CBE,
on "A Dynamic Algorithm to Generate Nuclear Packing of Drosophila Blastoderm"
- Gul Zerze, Postdoc in CBE,
on "Computational Investigation of the Effect of Backbone Chiral Inversions on Peptide Structure"
August 20, 2018:
- Fernando Rossine, PhD student in EEB, on "Collective behavior in slime molds and the role of diffusion"
- Antonio Perazzo, Postdoc in MAE, on "Viscoelastic properties of semidilute polyelectrolyte solutions"
August 15, 2018 - Special longer seminar at 4pm:
Pablo Debenedetti, Class of 1950 Professor in Engineering and Applied Science,
Professor of Chemical and Biological Engineering, and Dean for Research at Princeton,
on "Evaporation transitions of water in nanoscale confinement"
August 6, 2018:
- Antonia Statt, Postdoc in PCCM/CBE, on "Simulations of network forming star polymers"
- Suin Shim, Postdoc in MAE, on "CO2 driven diffusiophoresis"
July 23, 2018:
- Guang Chen, Postdoc in MAE, on "A Theoretical Model for Polyelectrolyte Solution with Salt Effect"
- Tapomoy Bhattacharjee, Postdoc in Andlinger Center/CBE, on "Life in a tight spot"
July 9, 2018:
- Jared Klein, PhD student in CBE, on "The Effects of Stereoinversion on Structure and Phase Transitions of Hydrogenated Polynorbornenes"
- Jasmin Imran Alsous, PhD student in CBE, on "A simple model of clonal dominance"
July 2, 2018 - Special longer seminar:
Sascha Hilgenfeldt, Professor, Mechanical Science and Engineering at University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign,
on "Disordered Cellular Matter: Structure as a key to Mechanics and the Energy Landscape"
June 25, 2018:
- Ian Bourg, Assistant Professor in CEE, title TBA
- Katie Goodwin, PhD student in QCB, on "Smooth muscle differentiation sculpts emerging branches during embryonic mouse lung development"
June 18, 2018 - Special longer seminar:
Ernesto Altshuler, Professor, Group of Complex Systems and Statistical Physics at University of Havana, Cuba,
on "Ants: From collective to individual behavior"
June 11, 2018:
- Luc Deike, Assistant Professor in MAE/PEI, on "Bursting bubbles"
- Ricard Alert Zenon, Postdoc in Physics, on "Active wetting of epithelial tissues"
June 6, 2018:
Special seminar by Martin Lenz, CNRS researcher at LPTMS, CNRS & U. Paris-Sud, France,
on "Slimming down through frustration"
May 14, 2018:
- PT Brun, Assistant Professor in CBE, on "Lazy design of soft materials"
- Andreas Kourouklis, Postdoc in CBE, on "Using soft materials to elucidate cellular and tissue mechanisms"
April 30, 2018:
- Dan Bracha, Postdoc in CBE, on "Mapping local and global liquid-liquid phase separation in living cells using light-activated multivalent seeds"
- Jeremy Cho, Postdoc in CBE, on "Crack this: These particle networks keep healing!"
April 16, 2018:
- Wes Reinhart, PhD student in CBE, on "Strategies for engineering patchy particle crystals"
- Sheng Mao, Postdoc in MAE, on "Multicomponent phase behavior inspired by membraneless compartmentalization"
April 9, 2018: No SMatCH (PCTS workshop)
March 26, 2018:
- Vicki Lee, PhD student in CBE, on "Internally-structured polymer colloids via Flash NanoPrecipitation of Block Copolymers"
- Farzan Beroz, PhD student in Physics, on "Verticalization of bacterial biofilms"
March 12, 2018:
- Jessica Wilson, PhD student in MAE, on "Multi-Ion Diffusiophoresis"
- APS March Meeting recap: Vicki Lee, Nancy Lu, Antonia Statt, Lailai Zhu, Sujit Datta
March 5, 2018: No SMatCH (APS March Meeting)
February 19, 2018:
- Francesco Sciortino, Professor of Physics at Sapienza Universita di Roma, on "Playing with DNA particles"
- Matej Krajnc, Postdoc in CBE, on "Fluidization of sheet-like tissues by active cell rearrangements"
- Ankur Gupta, Postdoc in MAE, on "Consequences of Asymmetry in Electrolyte Valence on Diffuse-Charge Dynamics"
February 5, 2018:
- Daniel Cohen, Assistant Professor in MAE, on "Crowd Control: swarming + soft matter to engineer tissues"
- Pierre Ronceray, Postdoc at PCTS, on "Nonlinear Stress Inference Microscopy"
- Michael Howard, PhD student in CBE, on "Evaporation-induced stratification in colloidal mixtures"
January 8, 2018: first ever SMatCH meeting!